Jan. 16, 2019
‘Eyewitness News’ and ‘Live with Kelly and Ryan’ Finish 2018 as Ratings Leaders
WABC-TV, the flagship Disney|ABC-owned television station in New York, announced that it is once again the most-watched television station in the New York television market and the United States in 2018, finishing the year with a 2.7 rating/7 share in DMA Households from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. Monday-Sunday for the full calendar year. With an average quarter-hour audience of 237,000 viewers all year long, ABC7 boasts the largest audience of any television station in the nation. WABC also leads the market among local broadcast station websites and has the highest social media engagement. The station greatly increased its video views from a year ago, more than doubling its original video views and seeing a 50% increase in its live streaming views.
The station produces the nationally syndicated morning show “Live with Kelly and Ryan” which continued to dominate the ratings locally. The program finished 2018 as its time-period winner in New York among DMA Households. The program was also No. 1 among Women 18-49 and Women 25-54, attracting more viewers than any two competitors combined. Nationally, the program attracts nearly 3 million viewers a day and is the top-rated daytime entertainment talk show.
WABC-TV’s market-leading “Eyewitness News” franchise celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2018. Here are some highlights from a year that saw the “Eyewitness News” team travel across the nation and the globe to cover news of interest to viewers in the tri-state:
- “Eyewitness News This Morning” had a 93% lead among DMA Households and maintains a 57% edge among Adults 25-54.
- “Eyewitness News at Noon” ranked No. 1 with a 32% lead among DMA Households, a 67% advantage among Women 25-54 and a 60% edge among Adults 25-54.
- “Eyewitness News First at 4” attracted twice as many DMA Households as its only local news competitor. It also held a 75% edge among Adults 25-54.
- “Eyewitness News at 5” won its time period among DMA Households and Adults 25-54, with wider margins of victory than it had a year ago.
- “Eyewitness News at 6” delivered a DMA Household rating that is 57% higher than its closest competitor. It also maintained a commanding 117% lead among Adults 25-54, representing a wider margin than it had last year. With 417 thousand viewers on a nightly basis, “Eyewitness News at 6” is the most-watched local newscast in the country.
- “Eyewitness News at 11” was No. 1 among DMA Households by 24% and among Adults 25-54 by 45%.
- “Eyewitness News This Morning” on Saturday and Sunday ranked No. 1 in DMA Households and Adults 25-54
- “Eyewitness News at 11” on Saturday and Sunday was No. 1 in DMA Households and Adults 25-54 among newscasts that aired at 11:00 p.m.
- Leading up to election night, abc7NY.com launched a weekly political show called “The Countdown.” Hosted by Bill Ritter, the six-week series accumulated 103,000 views across platforms.
- On election night, “Eyewitness News” held a 47% advantage over its closest competitor among Adults 25-54. WABC also provided streaming anchored coverage of the results and analysis for three hours of continuous coverage which had 74,000 views across its digital platforms.
- WABC-TV’s consumer unit, 7 On Your Side, recovered more than $1.1 million for local viewers in 2018, the fifth consecutive year it has topped the million-dollar mark.
Here’s a recap of WABC-TV’s slate of award-winning local specials:
- WABC-TV’s coverage of TCS New York City Marathon reached more than 1 million viewers locally and averaged 372,000 viewers per quarter-hour during the race coverage. The live stream on abc7NY.com had more than 102,000 live stream views on the day of the race, with stories throughout the week generating more than 95,000 online visits.
- Coverage of the “National Puerto Rican Day Parade” attracted an average of 189,000 viewers.
- The “NYC Pride March” attracted 109,000 viewers.
- A live preview program from “The New York International Auto Show” reached an average of 188,000 viewers.
- The “Columbus Day Parade,” “United Airlines NYC Half Marathon,” “Operation 7: Save-A-Life” fire safety campaign, “Hidden Heroes,” Breast Cancer Awareness, Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, two editions of “Broadway Backstage,” coverage of the “Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach,” the annual “New York Holiday” special and “Protect Our Children” rounded out Channel 7’s mission to reflect the large and diverse community it serves.
ABC News programming:
- “Good Morning America” decisively remains the top choice in its time period for tri-state area viewers. The program ranked No. 1 for the year among DMA Households, Adults 25-54 and Women 25-54.
- “The View” ranks No. 1 for the year among DMA Households, Women 18-49 and Women 25-54.
- “GMA Day” premiered in September and wins its 1:00 p.m. time period in DMA Households and Women 25-54
- “World News Tonight with David Muir” attracts more DMA Households and Adults 25-54 than its two network news competitors combined.
- “General Hospital” continues to lead its time-period competition among Women 18-49 and Women 25-54.
- Syndicated programs “Jeopardy!” and “Wheel of Fortune” continue to be No. 1 in Prime Access in DMA Households and most key demographics. The programs attract more DMA Households than their five competing stations combined.
- In prime time, ABC introduced “The Rookie” and “A Million Little Things” which joined successful shows including “black-ish,” “The Good Doctor,” “Modern Family,” “The Goldbergs,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Dancing with the Stars,” “How to Get Away with Murder” and “Shark Tank.”
Source: NY Nielsen LPM Live+SD Overnights 1/1/17-12/30/18; Instagram; Facebook, Twitter, Hitwise, Omniture.