LIST OF AWARD RECIPIENTS: 26TH ANNUAL GLAAD MEDIA AWARDS IN LOS ANGELES THE BEVERLY HILTON, MARCH 21, 2015
Last night was an amazing event, as celebrities and guests gathered for the 26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles. Ellen DeGeneres presented the Vanguard Award to Kerry Washington. Channing Tatum presented theStephen F. Kolzak Award to director Roland Emmerich. The event was hosted by comedian Tig Notaro with a special performance by Alex Newell. Additional special guests included Zoe Saldana, Shonda Rhimes, Viola Davis, Jack Falahee, Matt McGorry, Aja Naomi King, Peter Nowalk, Portia de Rossi, Pauley Perrette, Ron Perlman, Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Jill Soloway, Amy Landecker, Jay Duplass, Alexandra Billings, Rhys Ernst, Kiersey Clemons, Michaela Watkins, Alison Sudol, Andrew Rannells, Murray Bartlett, Daniel Franzese, Samira Wiley, Jordan Gavaris, Laura Jane Grace, Angel Haze, Michael Mosley, Kevin Daniels, Kevin Bigley, Peter Paige, Bradley Bredeweg, Gavin MacIntosh, Hayden Byerly, Yara Martinez, Alex Newell, Gregg Sulkin, Rita Volk, Michael J. Willett, Carter Covington, Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Guy Wilson, Freddie Smith, Christopher Sean, Bruno Tonioli, GLAAD National Spokesperson Omar Sharif, Jr. and GLAAD President & CEO Sarah Kate Ellis and many more!
Los Angeles, Saturday, March 21, 2015 – GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 16 of this year’s 31 media categories at the 26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards, presented by Delta Air Lines, Hilton, Ketel One Vodka, and Wells Fargo at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles on Saturday night.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards (accepters tentative):
- Vanguard Award: Kerry Washington (presented by Ellen DeGeneres)
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Roland Emmerich (presented by Channing Tatum)
- Outstanding Film – Wide Release: The Imitation Game (The Weinstein Company) [accepted by: screenwriter Graham Moore and producer Ido Ostrowsky]
- Outstanding Drama Series: How to Get Away with Murder (ABC) [accepted by: creator Peter Nowalk with stars Viola Davis, Jack Falahee, Matt McGorry, and Aja Naomi King]
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Transparent (Amazon Instant Video) [accepted by: creator Jill Soloway with stars Amy Landecker, Jay Duplass, Alexandra Billings, Kiersey Clemons, Michaela Watkins, and Alison Sudol, and co-producer Rhys Ernst]
The following is a list of other award recipients announced at the 26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles.
- Outstanding Individual Episode (in a series without a regular LGBT character): “Identity Crisis” Drop Dead Diva(Lifetime)
- Outstanding TV Movie or Mini-Series: The Normal Heart (HBO)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Against Me!, Transgender Dysphoria Blues (Xtra Mile Recordings)
26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards Recipients
- Outstanding Daily Drama: Days of Our Lives (NBC)
- Outstanding Comic Book : Rat Queens, written by Kurtis J. Wiebe (Image Comics)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “31 Days of PrEP” [series] (Advocate.com)
- Outstanding Blog: Autostraddle (autostraddle.com)
GLAAD previously announced that it was acknowledging BioWare’s hit video game Dragon Age: Inquisitionand the song “Era Diferente” by the legendary Mexican band Los Tigres del Norte with Special Recognition Awards. On Saturday night, FOX’s Glee also received a Special Recognition Award, following the series finale. For six seasons, Glee has consistently introduced groundbreaking LGBT characters and storylines, including a recent episode that featured a 200-person transgender choir. Joe Earley, Chief Operating Officer at Fox Television Group, accepted the award on behalf of the show.
- Outstanding Daytime Program Episode: “Cementerio homófobo” Caso Cerrado (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Television Interview: TIE: “En cuerpo ajeno” Un Nuevo Día (Telemundo) and“Intolerancia familiar” Realidades en Contexto (CNN en Español)
- Outstanding Documentary: “Identidad sin fronteras” Panorámica (Univision/Pivot)
- Outstanding Local TV Journalism: “Cobertura de Spirit Day” [serie] Noticias 34 (KMEX-Univision 34 [Los Angeles])
Additional awards will be presented at the GLAAD Media Awards event at the Waldorf Astoria in New York on Saturday, May 9.
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community and the issues that affect their lives. They also fund GLAAD’s work to amplify stories from the LGBT community that build support for equality. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014.
To receive the latest updates on the GLAAD Media Awards, follow @glaad on Twitter and use the hashtag #glaadawards.
About GLAAD: GLAAD amplifies the voice of the LGBT community by empowering real people to share their stories, holding the media accountable for the words and images they present, and helping grassroots organizations communicate effectively. By ensuring that the stories of LGBT people are heard through the media, GLAAD promotes understanding, increases acceptance, and advances equality. For more information, visit www.glaad.org.