A Father’s Day Weekend Event
By: Angela Redding
Los Angeles, CA, (The Hollywood Times) 6/9/18–Happy Father’s Day! Here in the US Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June each year. Gifts, hugs, and kisses are given to dear old dad as our way of saying, “I love you, dad. You are the best.”
Your father may not be in the lime light of Hollywood or a Super Hero to the rest of the world but he’s your hero and you want to honor him and lavish him with gifts to show your love and appreciation.
Not quite sure what to get dad for Father’s Day this year?
A trip to Pasadena, CA for the 26th annual Pasadena Chalk Festival, a free event, may be the answer to your prayers. The festival has something for everyone from artists demonstrating their artistic talents with amazing chalk creations on the streets of Pasadena at Paseo Colorado to food, live music, and a classic car show presented by the Pasadena Police Department. The festival runs for two days over Father’s Day weekend, June 16 & 17 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
How did it all begin?
The Pasadena Chalk Festival began in 1993. A summer intern at the Light Bringer Project attended a street painting festival in Paris and when she returned from her trip, she shared her observations and photos. 150 visual artists participated in the first Chalk on the Walk event which took place at Centennial Square at Pasadena’s City Hall. Proceeds from the event went toward community arts programs and HIV/AIDS resources.
This year The Pasadena Chalk Festival is presented by Otter Pops and is produced by The Paseo and the Light Bringer Project. The festival is a benefit for The Light Bringer Project, a nonprofit arts organization, which raises funds for necessary arts and learning programs in schools and to offer opportunities to those of all ages.
Each of the 600+ artists volunteers up to 20 hours of his or her talent and time to make the festival possible.
View the winning murals of the Pasadena Chalk Festival 2017: 2017 Winning Murals
Saturday, June 16 & Sunday, June 17
10:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Live Music and entertainment all day!
- Kids gets into the action! An area to create Father’s Day cards plus FREE face painting from 12 pm to 5 pm on Saturday & Sunday!
- Featuring animation art and animators in action in Lower Theatre Court
CHALK OF FAME
- Highlights movie posters and iconic scenes in film, in Upper Theatre near ArcLight Cinemas
ART GALLERY & SILENT AUCTION
- Near the Main Stage, with all proceeds benefiting the Light Bringer Project
17TH ANNUAL PASADENA POLICE CLASSIC CAR SHOW
Green St., Sunday, June 17th – 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- All proceeds benefit the Pasadena PAL Program and The Pasadena Police Explorer Post.
- Food booths, raffle prizes, Police Helicopter Ride Auction, & more
PASADENA CHALK FESTIVAL ARTIST AWARDS CEREMONY
Main Stage, Sunday, June 17th
- All festival winners will be announced including People’s Choice Award, Best in Festival 1st, 2nd & 3rd place & more!
- People’s Choice Award voting begins Sunday, June 17th. Ballots are available at Chalk Festival Info Booth located near the Main Stage.
More information can be found at: pasadenachalkfestival.com
Event: 26th Annual Pasadena Chalk Festival
Presented by: Otter Pops
Produced by: The Paseo and the Light Bringer Project
A benefit for the Light Bringer Project. Date: Father’s Day Weekend, June 16 & 17. Time: 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Location: The Paseo, 300 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA